Monday, August 22, 2016

Week 15


Mommy & ALL,

"Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge, others just gargle." - Robert Newton Anthony.

This quote is for all my people back in the U.S. getting ready to start school. Good luck to all!

This week I encourage all of you to read Ether 2 and 3! It has TONS of great principles that can apply in our lives today that we can apply in our lives today that I never noticed before! I also just like the story of the Brother of Jared. 

So here's a little story for the week. Wednesday afternoon, we were eating lunch in our house. There came a knock at the door. My comp scrambled to the bathroom and made me get it, both of us thinking it was the guy who brought us drinkable water. It was actually the police. I thought I was doing good understanding and speaking until I talked to them. haha. I was also a little nervous. Apparently the night before someone dumped oil all over a car on our street. So they were going around taking names and getting witnesses. He tried to talk to me until I told him I was from the United States. Then he used probably all 10 of the English words he knows to ask for my name, how old I am (he didn't believe I was 18 either) I.D., and phone number. So, now I may get called to court as a witness, although I didn't see anything haha. The best part is that I don't have a Visa yet because the paper work for it has not yet reached here. So I had to give him my U.S. I.D. and he almost asked for my Visa which then they would have thrown me out of the country hahaha. 

I can't help but laugh a little when we contact here. Not at the people, but at what they tell us, specifically the Catholics and Christians. We knock on the door and the person says, "Oh I'm Catholic." We say, "Oh cool, do you attend church?" Almost always they respond "No are you crazy? But I was baptized Catholic, so I'm Catholic" It is funny. We knock on another door and the person says "Oh I'm Christian too, you don't have to teach me." We say "Oh that's cool, what church do you go to?", and almost always they say "Oh it's um...the one 4 blocks (or however many) from your church building." So they know our church, but they can't remember the name of theirs. haha It is funny to me. 

We have 2 main investigators here, Mariela and Yolanda. They own a Kiosco about 5 min from our pension. They pretty much live there because they work a lot. They are Catholic but love talking to us and have great questions. We just walked in one day to buy some food and Elder Cardenas started talking to them and we ended up teaching them and we keep going back. haha. He always buys a bottle of water and I buy Dulce de Leche (caramel) filled muffins then we talk and teach. We talked about baptism with them, but they said they are baptized Catholic and already have their religion. But they do want to learn more about ours. Its really cool and great to be here meeting and befriending people of so many different religions and seeing their views. We seem to always get 2 questions: How many religions are there in the world, and if there is only one Gd, how do we know which one is right? That is our job. We are in the business of Saving Souls.

Much Love,

Elder Christensen














No comments:

Post a Comment